Friday, June 3

Cotton Row 5K & Fun Run

I started going to our Run for God program at church at the beginning of March. It is a 12 week training plan with a Christian focus! It was so great to have God in the center of training. Being a swimmer growing up I really, Really, REALLY disliked running, so I needed to be reminded that I could finish this program with His strength and not of my own!

Horizontal Logo

So on Memorial Day I set out to run my first 5K at the Cotton Row. My goal was to run it in under 35 mins.

crr_logo_2011

This is a BIG event with a 10K, 5K, and 1 mile fun run for the kids. There were about 5,000 people there!

IMG_1198

Tyler and Kalen did a great job cheering for me at the start! I actually heard them saying, “Go Brianna, Go Brianna!” It worked out great that I heard them, I forgot to take off my wedding ring and was able to give it to Mike as we started!

IMG_1211

It was such a HOT day and was probably in the upper 80’s - low 90’s when we started at 9am! Mike and Tyler went to a couple points where they thought they would be able to cheer for me!

IMG_1229

It was nice to have friends to run with and be able to encourage each other!

IMG_1252

Almost there!

IMG_1257

I did it! Woo Hoo!!! When I crossed the finish line my time said 34:15 and later looking online at the results of my k-tag (which records when you actually cross the start and finish lines) it was 33:33! I was so excited that I finished and under my goal!

IMG_1289

Woo Hoo! Love my girls!

IMG_1276

Family picture. Kalen didn’t want to be in it, she said, “My not running!”

IMG_1294

Then Tyler had to get ready for his 1 mile! He was talking for days and days before about the “big” race! So cute! Daddy ran with him!

IMG_1321

I couldn’t find him at the start (he must have been too fast) so these are at the finish line!

IMG_1333

We were so proud of him! Mike said he did a great job and really liked it when the people were cheering for him! When I asked Tyler what his favorite part about the race was he said, “Winning!” I think he got his parent’s competitive genes! Smile

So I think we all have the running bug now! Mike wants to do the next race and I think I want to try a sprint triathlon! (Yikes, did I just say that!!)

0 comments: